In a few dates
- Abel PAILLARD, a textile worker, buys an oil mill on Market Street in Lapalisse.
- The oil mill is moved to its actual location. The master oil-manufacturer produces walnut, hazelnut and roasted rapeseed oil, as well as fine linseed oil used for blending walnut oils. The oil cakes were transformed into pharmaceutical linseed powder, which was used to make poulticeso
- Between the two wars, the Oil Mill developed. Until 1932, the master looked after it, then his daughter Anne-Marie Chervier took over the management with the same pugnacity and her 5 employees. Abel CHERVIER, her grandson, assists his mother from 1943.
- Abel CHERVIER was a precursor. Faced with the mutations of cereal growing, an investment policy transformed the small workshop: new presses, refining workshop, storage silos were built… At the dawn of the 70s, the refining capacity increased to 2000 kg per operation, i.e. 8000 kg/24H. The small company did not experience a crisiso
- The following years became the true golden age of the Lapalisse Oil Mill: investments continued, with a new trituration unit, new presses, and the construction of an extraction workshop increasing the trituration capacity to 62 tonnes of seeds per 24 hours…
- The adventure continues with the arrival of Pierre CHERVIER, the eldest son, as the company’s general manager.
Together, they continued the transformation and development of the industrial toolo
The trituration tonnage increased to 25,000 tonnes, and the refining capacity grew to 24,000 tons/yearo
This expansion was not to the detriment of the traditional unit that had built up the family’s history over 4 generations. The latter is managed by his second son, Philippe CHERVIER, since 1994o
Abel CHERVIER hands over the reins, Philippe becomes the new CEOo
- Abel passed on the baton and his passion to his sons. The Oil Mill is still an independent family business and has up to 65 employees.
Until the 2000s, the development of production continued, but the beginnings of important changes were announced. The turning point came in 2003 with the cessation of the trituration and refining of rapeseed and sunflower oils. However, the Oil Mill remains a major player in the production, packaging and sale of speciality oils.
- These were the years that gave the company a new lease of life and even a new developmento
Despite the fire in the original craft workshop in 2014, which was quickly rebuilt, and the departure of Pierre CHERVIER on retirement, leaving the presidency to his brother Philippe, the recovery plan was underway: development of sales in France and abroad, development of trituration and packaging of organic oils (2015/16), a new automated packaging line 2018), a new fruit trituration workshop in 2020 ooo
- Artisanal unit
- Industrial unit
- The Lapalisse Oil Mill reconnects with its origins. In order to be known and recognised, it has adopted a strong brand name: ABEL 1898, a brand marked with symbolism, which is based on the name of Abel PAILLARD, founder of the company and the date of acquisition of the first mill in Lapalisse.
History is an eternal cycle.